Skip Navigation

Cashing paper bonds for a young child

Who may cash a bond for a child?

You may cash a savings bond for a child (a minor under the age of 18) if all of these statements are true:

  • The child is too young to understand a request for payment.
  • You are the child's parent.
  • The child lives (resides) with you OR you have been granted legal custody of the child.

What do I have to write on the back of the bond?

As the parent, you must write the statement below on the back of the bond.

As you do that:

  • Put the child's name in the appropriate places.
  • Write the phrase about either residing with you or having legal custody, whichever is true of your situation.
  • Use the appropriate pronoun for the child.
  • Write in the child's age.
  • Provide the child’s Social Security Number.

This is the statement you must write:

I certify that I am the parent of [child's name].
[Child's name] resides with me
I have been granted legal custody of [child's name].
[She / he] is ___ years old and is not of sufficient understanding to make this request.
[Child’s name] has the Social Security Number ___-__-____.

How must I sign the bond?

Sign the request with your name "on behalf of [child's name], a minor."

Where can I cash the bond?

Can you find a bank or other financial institution that will cash the bond? Do this
Yes Ask the bank to cash the bond for you.
No Ask us to cash the bond for you.

If you need us to cash the bond for you

  1. Fill out FS Form 1522, providing the information above in “What do I have to write on the back of the bond?”
  2. Read the instructions on the form about certifying signatures. If it says you need to have your signature certified, wait to sign the form until you are with the certifying official.
  3. Send the filled out and signed form with the bond(s) to:
  4. Treasury Retail Securities Services
    P.O. Box 9150
    Minneapolis, MN 55480-9150